Thursday, March 6, 2008

Psalm 4-Meditations

"Hear me when I call, O God of my rightesouness! You have relieved me in my distress; Have mercy on me, and hear my prayer. How long, O you sons of men, will you turn my glory to shame? How long will you love worthlessness and seek falsehood? But know that the Lord has set apart for Himself him who is godly; the Lord will hear when I call to Him. Be angry, and do not sin. Meditate within your heart on your bed, and be still. Offer the sacrifices of righteousness, and put your trust in the Lord. There are many who say, "Who will show us any good?" Lord, lift up the light of your countenance upon us. You have put gladness in my heart, more than in the season that their grain and wine increased. I wll both lie down in peace, and sleep; For you you alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety."

I am reminded by this psalm as to the special relationship that we, his chosen people, have with our great God. We are set apart for Him, and He hears when we cry out to Him. This speaks of the peculiarness (belonging exclusively to some person, group, or thing) of our relationship with our Heavenly Father. This relationship is like no other. And to know that He has put gladness in our hearts, even when the wicked are prosperous, even when trials come, that the Christian can lie down in peace and sleep - there is no one like our one true God. Even our relationships with our most beloved are flawed, because we are all sinners. We will let each other down, we will offend one another, yet there is only One that we can put our trust in. I am reminded of one of the stanzas to the classic hymn "It Is Well With My Soul" by Horatio Spafford...

When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to say,
“It is well, it is well with my soul”

0 Comments: