Tuesday, April 22, 2008

In Sickness and In Health

I never knew the true meaning of those words until just recently. Becky came down with a sever case of the flu (influenza) last week from one of her students that should not have been in school, so she's been sick ever since. I decided to take a couple days off this week to help take care of her, after having to take her to the hospital late Sunday afternoon. My visits to the hospital have been pretty rare, so to find myself there with my wife was a pretty big ordeal. We spent 4 hours in the minor injury clinic at Kaiser (which was a pain to find in the first place), with Becky hooked up to an IV for dehydration. She was eventually released later that evening, but still found herself congested and nauxious and having to take meds every so often. Ever since then, she's been out of school, sick lying in bed, with minor improvements here and there. I never knew what it was like to have to take care of someone so sick until now, much my like my mom used to do when I was a kid growing up. And that's when I recalled the famous words to most marriage vows, "in sickness and in health". The weird part for me, however, is trying to understand how she could be sick this whole time, yet I have shown no signs of being in any way infected. The humorous side of me would say it was because on Friday I was wearing my Superman tshirt and Superman track jacket that Becky gave me. But in all seriousness, I see God's sovereignty in all this because by keeping me healthy, he as allowed me to minister to my wife in her time of need. There is no other way to explain it. Indeed, it is only God who gets all the glory even amidst this time of "sickness". And what better way to prepare a man for taking care of future sick children than to take care of his sick wife.

3 Comments:

Jean M said...

Wow, this is the fourth case of someone from church having the flu that I've heard of since yesterday! Hope Becky gets better soon.

Bern said...

yikes! not fun Er. take good care of becky...not discounting God's ability to sustain and keep you well - i think you were protected by your plethora of Superman clothing. :-) hope she gets better soon - pls. let her know that we're thinking about her...i think we got part of that bug here at the kawazoes.

Bessiedavid said...

Hey Er, all I have to say is, "Ben & Jerry's"...I know the truth..hee, hee