Thursday, April 10, 2008

Idol Gives Back Ends With "Shout to the Lord"

It's rare that I would comment on back to back nights after watching American Idol, but I would have to say that I was rather surprised to hear "Shout to the Lord" close out the 2.5 hour marathon Idol Gives Back yesterday night. I wasn't sure how to feel hearing it, considering that most of those contestants singing it didn't even know the true meaning behind that song. I did find it rather odd that they made a subtle change to the song beginning, by replacing "My Jesus my savior" with "My Shepherd my savior". But as I think about it, I'm not surprised, as the show tried to be more "politically correct" by removing the name of Christ from the song.

I was reminded of Isaiah 53:3 3, where it says of Christ, "He was despised and rejected by men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief; and as one from whom men hide their faces he was despised, and we esteemed him not." If Christ was rejected by men when he was alive, should it shock you that men would reject Christ now? I only found it fitting that after singing this song about Jesus Christ, that they would end the show by a comedical profanity laced tirade by Ben stiller. Would you expect anything more?

2 Comments:

~V~ said...

i'm not too surprised that a secular show would change the words..i mean it's american idol. i would be more worried if a church did that, you know? BTW,did you watch last night's show? they sang the song again and they actually said "Jesus!" it was kind of strange hearing them sing that, but you really can't judge their hearts. i'm wondering what's next though, will they be open to singing songs from other "religions?"

Erwin said...

Yeah I saw Thursday night's results show and was even more surprised to hear them change the opening lyrics back to "My Jesus"...although it was just 3 of the 8 singing that part. Perhaps enough people complained about the initial lyrics being wrong.