Friday, May 2, 2008

Left Bank For Your Buck

So Becky and I went to the Concord area last night to try some French Cuisine at Left Bank in Pleasant Hill. It was a few blocks from the Grace School of Theology Area off Crescent Drive. I didn't know what to expect, but when we went in, we were thoroughly surprised. The restaurant had a very nice atmosphere, with french posters on the walls and cartoon like portraits painted directly on the walls. There was live jazz music yesterday - I don't know if it was because it was during happy hour or if it is a regular thing. They had french doors all along the restaurant, that from the looks of it are left open during the day to give the place an airy feel. I saw an upper banquet room that would be perfect for parties, and just at the top of the stairway was a couple of tables that would be perfect for a nice private dinner. The workers were friendly and kept my water glass full. As for the food, Becks had Baby Spinach Salad (endive, Point Reyes Bleu, pecans, honey garlic vinaigrette) and the Beef Bourguignon (braised beef in red wine sauce, button mushrooms, lardons, carrots and potatoes) and I had the Lamb Sirloin (crisp polenta, broccoli rabe and au jus). Becks loved the salad and the extremely tender beef in her meal, not to mention the carbonated lemonade she had. I also enjoyed my lamb and the leftovers Becks gave me from her plate. I was tempted to try an appetizer or two (calamari, escargots, oysters, or mussels), but I figured I could save that for another visit, especially since we were going to be trying some dessert. Becks had the Creme Brulee and I had the Fondant Au Chocolat, both of which were very good. So the Reyes's give Left Bank two thumbs up!

4 Comments:

Bern said...

Definitely looks like a place that I can ask for a date to. BTW, I liked the how you said that the "Reyes" give it a 2 thumbs up. Has a nice ring to it, huh?

Bessiedavid said...

Were there live music? When we went for Lei's birthday, there was live music but that was on the weekend. If I remember well, they had really good mochas too...Big ones like the ones served on Friends.

Jean M said...

Glad you and Becky liked it! It's quite a nice spot, isn't it? BTW, thanks for giving me those recipes, too!

Note: they do have live music every Friday, and possibly on Saturdays, too.

Erwin said...

Thanks too for your list of restaurant recommendations...along with Haar's.